PASTA FAGIOLI (PASTA AND BEANS)
A hearty Italian soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped brown mushrooms
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 lb Isernios spicy italian chicken sausage (cooked and drained)
- 1/2 lb ground beef (cooked and drained)
- 15 oz oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 2 14oz each cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 8.5 oz Manny's Choice Approved PrimoGrano Sagne A Pezzi pasta
- grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat add in ground beef and chicken sausage cook until browned, drain and set aside.
In pan with olive oil, saute, celery, carrots, add mushrooms after 5 mins and saute approx 5 more min. Add basil, crushed red peppers, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
Add Chicken broth, and water, stir in tomato paste. Simmer 15 min.
Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions approx 7-9 mins.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese and sprinkle with parsley.